So Buddy Complex. Latest addition by Sunrise just got a pre-air and people are going nuts about it, right? Well I predict they will, but that’s irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. How will I react to it, personally? Well, after sitting through the first episode, I’ve come up with a short list regarding why I should and shouldn’t continue on with this.
Reasons To Continue With This Show
- The dialogue is corny as hell. Not exactly Ghost Stories dub level of corny, but that’s like comparing a shiny new Macbook Pro to a shiny new, custom-made, Windows PC…oh wait.
- The main character is Kirito if he was a Sunrise mecha lead.
- Our main lead, Aoba, is good at basketball. And we all know that basketball is the most important sport when it comes to manliness, don’t we?
- The male counterpart to our lead is named Dio. More specifically, his name is Junyou Dio Weinberg. I just know someone is going to exploit that.
- There’s lot of explosions. And we all love explosions.
- The main female lead has a crush on Aoba (for understandable reasons explained later in the episode) and she’s secretly a capable pilot and a time trav–oh wait, this is supposed to be a list of reasons to continue watching.
- To be fair, the time travel is a main plot device introduced in the start of the show, so we’re not getting any rule changes on the level of No. 6.
- There’s a bunch of other characters in that J-pop OP that we’re dying to meet.
- Add any Sunrise mecha cliche here.
Reason Why I Won’t Continue
- It’s another fucking Sunrise mecha anime about war and shit. Hello Gundam.
And that’s pretty much why I won’t watch this show in a nutshell. If I missed any details, it’s because my mind wiped away most of this show’s existence after I finished it and I can’t be assed to remember them, because it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. All the positives I listed above are just pieces that I’m not even too big into. None of them refer to the big picture in the least. And unfortunately, that big picture happens to be f*cking Gundam aka Standing On My Neck’s #3 or 4 on the shit list. Except with time traveling. I rest my case.
Oh yeah, I also saw Witchcraft Works. The less said about that, the better. Cute bunnies though.
PS: All Sunrise mecha look the same nowadays. I’m not asking them to create another Big O or Argento Soma, but nowadays when they’re not trying to do another Gundam show, they’re doing another Geass, which is looking more and more like a gussied-up Gundam clone with CLAMP designs the more I look at it. Please ditch the robots, or at least do something new with them besides having them fight fucking wars.