I’ve been pressured to get my top 100 anime list out soon, but it hasn’t exactly been easy. See, the thing is that I want my top list to consist of only stuff I love and…well…I haven’t really seen that amount of anime. Well, that’s not true, but some of the stuff I rank an 8 on my MAL are stuff I don’t really feel like putting on my top list because of how hit and miss they were at points or because they just don’t click with me in the long run. Also, some of the anime are stuff I haven’t seen in a long time, so I’ve been rewatching them to see if they still hold up. Couple that with my backlog, real life, other projects, and actually putting the list together…yeah I think you see the problem.
Nevertheless, the fans must be pleased, so I put up a new top list. A Top 30 Anime Series list to be more exact.
Couple of points first:
- I excluded movies from the list, so unless I’m talking about an entire franchise, don’t go expecting anything in the vein of Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon. Just remember that some of my favorite anime movies include: Tekkonkinkreet, Perfect Blue, Whisper of the Heart, Mind Game, Tamala A Punk Cat in Space, Clannad: The Motion Picture, and Macross: Do You Remember Love? The latter two might have gone on if it wasn’t for the fact that I don’t really like anything else about either the Clannad or the Macross franchise.
- I did include OVA series, but I’m really stretching with Cat Soup since I’m including both the 27-minute total series and the JC Staff OVA, which doesn’t even equal an hour of watching. And it’s mostly the latter that I adore, although I like the short series as well.
- Runner-up series include: Haibane Renmei, Un-Go, Soremachi, Detroit Metal City, Mouryou no Hako, The Tatami Galaxy, Serial Experiments Lain, and Re: Cutie Honey.
- I haven’t finished Urusei Yatsura at the time of this writing, only being about thirty episodes into a 195 episode, 6 movie, 12 OVA franchise. And you thought LoGH was massive. However, from what I’ve seen and from the awesome second movie, it’s going to take a massive amount of suck to degrade it. Considering that that’s unlikely to happen given what I’ve heard, I put it in prematurely.
- Some stuff I didn’t include because you’d have to force me at gunpoint to put them in: Madoka Magica (doesn’t hold up at all, and I now hate the second half), ef-a tale of memories (like a lot more now, but still not my kind of romance), Hikaru no Go (love the majority of the middle section, but hate the rest of it), Legend of the Galactic Heroes (I can’t get into long-plot focused series, especially in Japanese), Steins;Gate (fucking hate shows that spend too much time on boring character development and talking about cool stuff without progressing the plot or doing cool stuff), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (it has not aged well), and Gurren Lagann (I don’t like mecha and this wasn’t good enough to change that opinion).
- Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion switched places. Just because.